Code n Ethics
If "Code is Law", who's in charge of ethics ?@m4d_zhttps://talks.m4dz.net/code-n-ethics/en/
Where does ethics starts?
embedded Linux Kernel ?
Ethics cursor is moving
There is no
- frame of reference
to define ethics precisely
Technology isn’t neutral and has impacts in the real World
Antiquity & Philosophy
Ethics is not about
- Public Morality
- Compliance to public rules
- Social conventions
- experience of the actions in life
- brought up in fine habits
We are not studying in order to know what virtue is, but to become good, for otherwise there would be no profit in it.
Aristotle in NE II.2
Thinking about Ethics
is an elite issue
True morality has no time for morality
Scientific approach isn’t Ethical approach
Choice vs. Decision
Human is not a
But Human has God powers
Human can create life…
God creates dinosaurs, God destroys dinosaurs. God creates Man, man destroys God. Man creates dinosaurs.
Dr Ian Malcolm
Human can create at its own image
- Replacement of humankind
- Big Data
Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.
Dr Ian Malcolm
Think vs. Create
Are Digital Makers the new thinkers?
Technology is a political tool
- SpaceX Private companies regulating space?
- Social Networks Private companies responsible of News?
- Net Neutrality Private companies deciding about the Network
- Sesame Social Credit Centralized authority deciding for you
- Industrial Age
- Digital Age
- AI Age::?::
- Laborers replaced by the machines
- Social gropus changed
- Is it ethically acceptable to remove work from workers?
- Human choices replaced by algorithms
- Tedious tasks belongs to the machines
- Is it ethically acceptable consider some people time is most valuable than others?
What do we want to become?
Welcome in 1870!
Myth of Singularity
Doing vs. Conceiving
Ethics in Code
Could we teach code ethically?
Negligence in the conduct of Internet-wide experiments is both irresponsible and unacceptable.
Code is Law
Etiquette, Code, Ethics
A student in a CS department program shall:
- Act at all times with integrity.
- Strive to increase his/her competence and the competence
and prestige of the profession.
- Accept responsibility for his/her work.
- Act with professional responsibility when working with others.
- Use his/her special knowledge and skills
for the advancement of human welfare.
The is-ought problem
Computer Science Ethics
Computer Workers Ethics
Even if we are software craftspeople, we also need to be the thinkers of our societies, because we draw the lines of our new world.
m4dz, CC BY-SA 4.0
Courtesy of Unsplash and Pexels contributors
- Layout icons are from Entypo+
- Content icons are from FontAwesome
- Cover Title: Sinzano
- Titles: Argentoratum
- Body: Mohave
- Code: Fira Code
Powered by Reveal.js
Source code available at